Thursday, April 14, 2011

Schwartzel tired, but gung-ho

US Masters champion Charl Schwartzel looked jet-lagged, rued his lost clubs, and was still trying to get over the celebrations after a magnificent week in Augusta.
But the South African believes he will be in contention, and even hopes to land the Maybank Malaysian Open title come Sunday at the KLGCC.
"Obviously, last week was such a big week and it is still so difficult to take it all in. I've been so busy with the media afterwards, and after a few hours' rest, I travelled for another 26 hours before arriving here," said Schwartzel.
"So, I have not really taken it all in yet. But whenever I enter a golf tournament, I try to play my best. And I will this week see if I can win this one as well."
He was on the same flight route as Irishman Rory McIlroy, and both arrived in Kuala Lumpur minus their golf baggage.
"I have yet to play the course (Pro-Am yesterday) as I lost my clubs in transit. But my caddy is walking the course right now (yesterday), and I should be all right tomorrow (today) as I will get used to the conditions while playing," he said.
Winning the Masters has also given Schwartzel the confidence to take on any tournament that comes his way.
"It (winning the US Masters) just gives you a lot of confidence coming into an event. If it doesn't, then there is something wrong. You are on such a high and you feel you can win anything, and that is what I will try and do this weekend."