Thursday, April 14, 2011

Professional killers assemble at KLGCC

SOME of the world's best golfers will assemble at Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club (KLGCC) today, but it is anyone's guess who will hoist the Seagram Trophy at the end of the 50th edition of the Maybank Malaysian Open on Sunday.
US Masters champion Charl Schwartzel of South Africa, World No 1 and PGA Championship winner Martin Kaymer of Germany, reigning British Open champion Louis Oosthuizen of South Africa and Rory McIlroy, the World No 9 from Northern Ireland, are all part of the glamour line-up who will battle for the winner's cheque of US$333,330 (RM1 million) in the US$2.5 million showpiece.
Also in the fray is defending champion Noh Seung Yul of South Korea, who is determined to hold on to the title he won at the same course.
Kaymer believes the soggy conditions will make it difficult for everybody and that it would be impossible to predict the winning score.
"I don't even know the winning score of last year!" said Kaymer.
"I played a round today (yesterday) and the problem is that it's (the greens) very soft and you can play very aggressive with the approach shots.
"I played three-under, and will be happy to repeat the same tomorrow (today), but I can't predict the winning score."
Kaymer played in Malaysia in 2007 but that was when he was just another golfer trying to make the cut.
"My life has changed a little since. I played at Saujana (Golf and Country Club) and my brother was my caddy!
"It was my fourth or fifth tournament on the European Tour and I missed every cut until I played at Saujana.
"Malaysia was the first time I made the cut on the European Tour and made my first pay cheque.
"So, it (the 50th edition) is a big tournament for me as I am back here as the World No 1, and have a professional caddy.
"Life has changed since," added the lanky German.
On the home front, 22 golfers will attempt to break the Malaysian Open jinx, as no local has ever won the title since its inception in 1962.