Thursday, April 14, 2011

Schwartzel one-over in opening round

AGUSTA Masters champion Charl Schwartzel of Germany did not get off to the dream start that he had wanted, but at least he didn't fall asleep while playing one-over 73 in the first round of the Maybank Malaysian Open.
Schwartzel, starting from the 10th, made three bogies on the 11th, 13th and 16th before surviving on the return nine birdies at holes Nos 2 and 3.
His clubs, which went missing on the 26-hour journey from Augusta to Kuala Lumpur, arrived at 9pm on Wednesday night, giving him little time to get into grips.
"It was never easy today (yesterday) as I never got my swing the whole day. After lots of travel, I am just not quite prepared for this tournament, but at least I didn't fall asleep during the game," said Schwartzel.
He didn't sleep well on Wednesday night, and felt the 12-hour time chance tough to handle.
"I didn't sleep well, it was difficult to adjust to the 12-hour zone change. I struggled to focus, and the golf swing is tight and the body is not responding right now.
"But there are still 54 holes to go which means plenty of birdies to collect. At least I am not out of contention, and with three days left, the feeling might come back, and I will be back on track.
"I'm still game to hit a few good balls, and make a few good putts and challenge for the title," was Schwartzel's warning to those who feel he's out of the way.