Monday, October 25, 2010

Young on flight with chicken wings

By Jugjet Singh
jugjet@nst.com.my

KOREAN Lee Jee Young had a bogey and only two birdies, but held onto her share of the lead on a two-day total of six-under 136 after the second round of the Sime Darby Malaysia LPGA at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club yesterday.
However, the overnight joint-leader Japanese Mika Miyazato handed the baton to Swede Maria Hjorth who finished with another 68 yesterday.
Lee, who had a 66 in the first round, could only manage a 70, but it was enough.
Alone on third is Korean Kim Song-Hee, who had a round of 68 for five-under 137.
Four players are grouped at joint fourth on four-under 138, and they are Juli Inkster of the Unites States, Natalie Gulbis of the United States and Mika.
"I found it hard to concentrate after such a long delay (the second round was also rain-interrupted), especially when the temperature is so warm outside. It is easy to get a little stiff and tired, and one must be really focused when it restarts," said Maria, who had four bogeys, and eagle and five birdies.
Maria turned pro in 1998, but has yet to win a tournament, and her career top-10 finishes are only two.
"I had a great eagle on No 6 and it obviously helped place me where I am now. But then I had four bogeys, but still, it is nice to enter the final round as a leader," said the Swede.
And what she plans to do today: "I would probably have a go, and try and shoot another three or four under tomorrow, and see where it takes me. If not, I've done what I can do. I must really stay focused, and play against myself, and no one else." said Maria.
Jee Young has been in this position before, and to stay focused, she will call her mom.
"I am a little nervous even though I have taken the lead into the final round before. I was a little stiff playing the second round, and there will be more pressure on me in the final.
"To soak it up, I will call my mom tonight, and have a long chat with her. It will prepare me, I think," said Jee Young.
And what did she do during the rain-delay: "I love to eat, so I had chicken wings, a lot!"