Monday, October 25, 2010

Katherine claims title before tee-off

By Jugjet Singh
jugjet@nst.com.my

KATHERINE Hull (pic) from Australia laid an early claim to the Sime Darby Malaysia LPGA title when she boldly stated that she is here to win, at all cost.

The Aussie is an athlete to the word, as she played 11 sports including cricket, water-polo, swimming and tennis before deciding that her calling was golf.
"I am here to win the title, and the feeling is great, and so is my putting. Malaysia has been kind to me during my first visit, and I feel that I am in the right frame of mind to go for my second title here," said the 5 feet 10 inches tower of confidence.
Her first time in Malaysia was in 2002, and she helped Australia win the Espirito Santo Trophy at the Saujana Golf and Country Club.
And last weekend, she landed the Navistar LPGA Classic for her second LPGA Tour victory. Katherine, who also won the 2008 Canadian Women's Open, finished at 19-under 269 at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail's Capitol Hill complex. After opening with a 68, she had three straight bogey-free 67s.
Is she still on cloud nine?
"Winning the Navistar was simply great, but the Monday after that I had to do my laundry and drag my bag at the airport, and that brought me down to earth pretty fast," said Katherine.
And how does she find the course and Malaysia: "Someone told me that the course was finished four months ago, and I said 'wow looks like it has been here for years'.
"It is well designed and I can't wait to start, as the weather is similar to Australia. However, it is much cooler here now, as compared to Singapore and Thailand where I have played."
She loves the Malaysian hospitality and food, even the King of Fruit durian.
"I have tried durian twice and although I did not like it the first time, the second was delicious. It actually tastes like butter. I have been told that you can't take it out of customs because its smell will give one away even if it is wrapped in five layers!."
Instead of durian, the confident Australian might just take the inaugural Malaysian LPGA pweter trophy back home.