Thursday, May 7, 2009

Lee spells danger for BPSS

DANGEROUS Lee aims to become the first Sarawakian to capture the top goal
scorer award in the Malaysian Hockey League (Under-19).
And Dangerous, rated the best East Malaysian player in the league, is
not far off in achieving his dream.
The Kuching-born forward, who turns out for Bukit Jalil Sports School
(BJSS), has scored 13 goals, one less than current league top scorer K.
Satest of Division Three club Nur Insafi.
"I created history last year when I became the first East Malaysian to
play in the league. The exposure has helped me a lot in developing my
skill. Becoming the tournament's top scorer is my next goal," said the
17-year-old.
Dangerous will have the chance to increase his goal tally when BJSS,
the Division Two champions, take on Bandar Penawar Sports School (BPSS)
for the overall title tomorrow at the National Hockey Stadium in Bukit
Jalil.
He said BPSS are a powerful team and they have the ability to beat his
team in the final.
Earlier in the league, BPSS thrashed BJSS 4-1 but the latter took the
match lightly as they had won the league before the encounter.
"I played badly in that match and coach (S.Prakash) replaced me. I'm
determined to make amends on Sunday (tomorrow). BPSS are very strong
defensively and it will be a challenge for me to score goals," said
Dangerous, who has the ability to score both field and penalty corner
goals.
He said: "Hockey is not a popular sport in Sarawak but I still managed
to score more goals than my teammates from the peninsula.
"There is no hockey league in Sarawak and it's difficult for players
there to improve on their skills. I was lucky to get the chance to study
at BJSS and play hockey for them."
On his unique name, Dangerous said: "My dad (Mathew) gave me that name
because he wanted me to be brave. I am happy to live up to the name with
my scoring ability in the league. I will go all out to become the top
scorer in the league."
Among the other Sarawakians who saw league action this season were
Christnall Michael Jieng, Abranden Vylienden Andrew (BJSS Juniors),
Dielvin Anak Mula and Melvin Strute Anak Henry Jimod (Petaling Jaya City
Council).