Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Kumar takes challenge in stride..

S. KUMAR was voted the Best Goalkeeper in Asia, but he only warmed the bench in the recent Hockey India League.
  And instead of accepting defeat, he came back to Malaysia and trained even harder and has proven himself by a sterling display in all three Azlan Shah Cup matched thus far.
  "It was quite frustrating to sit on the bench during the IHL, but it made my resolve stronger and I trained even harder upon my return to prepare not only for the Azlan Shah Cup, but also the Asia Cup and the World League," said the 34-year-old Tampin born player.
  Playing for Uttar Pradesh Wizards, Kumar was only give a chance to play one match in the HIL.
  "I am happy to have helped Malaysia hold Australia, and I believe I have many more good years in me to serve the country. There are many young goalkeepers who are moving up the rank and I am happy with this progress in the goalkeeping department.
  "But if they want my spot, they will have to really prove themselves before I hand over my pads to my successor," said Kumar who continued playing against Australia even after taking two hefty shots to the chest which needed medical attention.
  Roslan Jamaluddin, the second goalkeeper, might not get a chance against Pakistan today, and will probably see action against India if Malaysia enter the final with a match to spare.
  Meanwhile, there is a scramble among Malaysia Hockey League teams to secure Pakistan players for their campaign which will start on March 22.
  Defending double champions Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club, who lost many players to Terengganu, have secured Pakistan skipper Muhammad Imran as well as four other Pakistanis and an Australian player in their quest to retain their titles.
  Sapura and two other teams are also in the midst of signing foreign players who are here in Ipoh.