Sunday, April 15, 2012

Indian stars Jyothi and Jeev shine

INDIA stars Jyothi Rahdhawa and Jeev Milkha Singh ended jointh-11th, salvaging some Asian pride in the Maybank Malaysian Open.
Jyothi had a final round of two-over 74 for an eight-under 280 total, while Jeev played par golf yesterday.
"At least I hung in there for quite a bit. I just had two bad shots really. I hit my second shot on the 13th hole and it got plugged (double bogey). I had another bad tee shot on the 14th hole (triple bogey).
"If you take those shots away then I would have finished higher. At least I know why those bad shots came because the old swing came in. I birdied after those shots so that was a good comeback," said Jyothi.
"All in all I think I’m feeling good. I just need to give it a little bit more time. I guess I’m on the right track. After this week, I’m feeling even more confident with a top-10 finish. I’m looking forward to the rest of the year.
"I’ll just try to do the best that I can and focus on the process and routine. If I can keep doing that then I think I can play well.
"Just when I needed a few shots to go straight and when I needed a few birdie putts, it (swing) just didn’t work for me because of anxiety. When something is new it just doesn’t work under pressure but I know what I need to do so hopefully one day I can hold it under pressure.
It has been a while since Jyothi came into a competition under stress.
"I hope I can hang in there and don’t do the bad swings. I feel very nice the way I swung this week. I feel very nice that it is all coming together. I just had two bad swings so I’m feeling positive for next week.
"It is a great golf course. I think it is a ball strikers’ golf course and the greens are fast. You got to hit the ball long way so I’m looking forward to it," said Jyothi.
As for Jeev: "I had a great start today (yesterday). I think I got ahead of myself and gave a few shots away. I thought I got really unlucky on 16, I hit a great shot in there but it rolled into the water. That set me back and I shot even par. But I tried you know. It is the first top-10 of the year and hopefully it gets better from here."