Thursday, October 13, 2011

MALAYSIAN LPGA: Four ladies sit pretty

Pic: Yeon Na Choi of South Korea.

By Jugjet Singh

THE first round of the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia saw four ladies from four different countries sharing the joint lead at the sun-baked Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club (KLGCC) yesterday.
The course played to a par-71, and the weather was hotter than the ladies putters as the four leaders returned tied on five-under 66.
Yeon Na Choi of South Korea, Maria Hjorth of Sweden, Dewi Claire of Netherlands and Brittany Lang of the United States sat on the clouded leader-board which could swing either way today.
Because snapping on their high heels are Paige Mackenzie of the USA and Azahara Munoz of Spain on four-under 67s.
Brittany Lang broke into song when asked about her round: “I played really well after getting off to a great start with a birdie on the third to be one-under, after which, the balls just sailed in,” said the American.
Brittany followed with a birdie on the fifth and eighth, before her only blemish on the 11th, to come out tops with three more birdies on the 12th, 16th and 17th.
“This is my second year at this course and this this time around the greens are a lot softer. I guess they've got a lot more range which makes the course easier, because last year it was tricky with the firm greens, so I'm thankful for that. That's probably the only change.
“It just felt very effortless today (yesterday). I really just tried to get out of my own way and have more fun. By doing that, I’ve had more energy, I’ve had more fun, and I’m playing better,” said Brittany.
Swede Maria felt a peace on the greens, and the birdies just followed.
“ Well, everything was really good. I felt very comfortable. I felt at peace out there and everything went really well. I hit a lot of greens, as I was driving well the whole morning.
“It’s the first round I know, but being tied for the lead is a big boost. You can always if you put yourself in a good position.
“Last week I had a bad first round (Solheim Cup), and it just became hard to catch up. Obviously for a four day tour nament, it makes it a little easier to catch up, but it’s always great to be up there and not too far off. You have a good chance, and you just have to go out there tomorrow and try to dot same thing,” said the Swede.
World No 1 Yani Tseng of Taiwan had a bad day as she could only manage a two-under 69 to be placed tied 13th.
The other top 10 players Suzann Petterson of Norway was three-under-68 and on tied-17th; Cristie Kerr of the US was one-over 72 for 32nd while Stacy Lewis of the US had three- under 68 to be tied at the seventh spot.