Saturday, October 30, 2010

Shaaban consistent in front of mum-in-law

Shaaban Hussin discusses with his caddy in the second round of the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic Malaysia yesterday. — Picture by Osman Adnan

SHAABAN Hussin, if anything, was consistent in front of his mother-in-law yesterday.

He returned another one-over 72 for a two-over 144 in the CIMB Asia Pacific Classic at the Mines Resort and Golf Club.
Malaysia’s sole challenger started shakily, suffering double bogeys on the fifth and 12th, and a bogey on the 18th against birdies on the fourth, 11th, 13th and 14th.
“Everybody, from my friends to my father and mother-in-law were following me again today (yesterday). Some of them took leave specially to watch me play. I feel very happy with their support,” exclaimed the lanky 30-year-old.
Shaaban said his double bogeys were mistakes that came when he tried too hard to impress the gallery.
“On hole No 5, I pushed my drive into the water and on the 12th, I suffered another erratic drive where my shot ended in the trees. My driving was not at its best today (yesterday) as I felt like I was on a holiday outing with my family and friends,” he quipped.
His best putt of the day came on the 14th when he holed from 14 feet from the edge of the green.
“That putt was probably the highlight of my week so far,” he said.
Shaaban, who was elated to play alongside Malaysian Open champion and Iskandar Johor Open runner-up Noh Seung Yul of South Korea, said: “I’m very happy to have played with the teenage superstar as he hits the ball really long and I learned a lot from him.
“His (Noh) approach shots are so accurate and I learned that if I want to play better on the international stage, I need to improve on my iron shots,” said Shaaban.
“I hope to do better in the next two days as my goal now is to improve my position. If you look at the rankings, I am the underdog here but that's not going to stop me from ending up in a good position.”