Thursday, July 17, 2008

Che Not In Just For Kicks

By Jugjet Singh
jugjet@nst.com.my
CHE Chew Chan is not a distant relative of Argentine Marxistrevolutionary Che Guevara, but she possesses his steely grit, and many ofher taekwondo opponents will vouch for that. Both the Ches have one thing in common though - revolution.
"I will be fighting for the sport, not myself in Beijing. A medal fromme will help revolutionise the sport in Malaysia," was her response justbefore she left for a one-month training stint in South Korea.
Born in Pontian, Johor, she had her doubts about taekwondo and wascontemplating playing basketball, but was persuaded by her school coachKoh Keng Kiang to continue as he saw potential in her.
"And the silver medal I won at the Asian Championships in May in ZhengZhou, China, was the sweetest of rewards," said Chew Chan.
"My one month stint in Korea is going to be tough, but I hope it willhelp me kick out the butterflies in my stomach during competition, and Iwill return from Beijing with a medal."
Chew Chan has broken her jinx in theAsian Championships, as she lost inthe first round of the 2006 edition. She was also a first round casualtyin the Goodluck Beijing tournament earlier this year, but that is history.
"I am better prepared now, and although the competition in Beijing willnot be easy, I have as good a chance as the next exponent to lay my handson a medal." She will not be thinking much about her opponents in Korea, where sheis training to become mentally strong.
"The skills and physical strength are there, now I will concentrate onmental strength, because that is what separates losers from winners.
"I will also have to be cautious not to pick up an injury, as I do notwant to waste the golden opportunity of competing in my first Olympics."
And she is also delighted with the RM1 million cash offer for a goldmedal, and the pension that comes with it.
"Life will be set!," she giggled like a teenager when asked about thecash incentive.
"But seriously, it is a huge boost for any athlete in the lead-up tothe Games. All of us want to return from the Olympics with a medal, andnow we have an extra reason, which will make our lives cushier," saidChew Chan.
Winning gold might be tough though as China's two-time Olympic goldmedalist Chen Zhong is in her category but Chew Chan is one grittypersonality and,who knows, Beijing might well be where she really showsher stuff.

FACT FILE CHE CHEW CHAN * Date of birth: Oct 1, 1982 * Hometown: Pontian, Johor * Height: 179cm * Weight: 72kg * Coach: R. Dhanaraj * Likes: Chocolates and sleep * Dislikes: Loud and talkative people * Favourite movie: Comedies * Favourite food: Ice-cream and nasi lemak * Favourite actor/actress: None * Career high: Silver medal in the 2008 Asian Championships * Career low: Failing in first international outing in Vietnam, 2001 * Previous Olympic appearances: Debutante * Beijing events: Women's heavyweight * Competition dates: Aug 20-23