Friday, January 11, 2008

Hilim the SportExcel star

23/08/2003

HILMI Abdul Rahman emerged as the new star at the conclusion of the
SportExcel-Rahman Putra Malaysian Junior Matchplay Championship yesterday.
But his true test will come next weekend when attempts to add the Asian
Matchplay title to add to the one he won yesterday.
Hilmi, 17, who hopes to turn pro in three years' time and has a string
of runner-up finishes in his age-group, beat Aidil Haris 4-3 in
yesterday's final and is looking forward to a golden finish in the Asian
Matchplay at the Rahman Putra Golf Club on Aug 26.
"Somehow, my best finish has always been second since I started playing
in the SportExcel circuit four years ago. But today (yesterday) my putter
was hot and I finally beat my more established team-mates to the title,"
said the lanky Hilmi.
Hilmi, of Kota Permai Golf and Country Club, had a slow start as he
qualified sixth but in the matchplay, he stubbornly held on.
"I trained five hours a day at the Kota Permai Academy for the past
three months and it has finally paid off. Now I am looking forward to lift
the Asian title next week," added Hilmi.
Malaysia will be represented by 12 golfers in the Asian Matchplay, while
12 foreign golfers have confirmed with Korean Eric Chu, 14, being the
early favourite.
"I am dead serious about turning pro when I turn 20 in three years'
time. I am sure I will start my quest by lifting the Asian title at this
course next week," said Hilmi.
Strokeplay Qualifying Scores: 75 Shah Farique, Iylia Jamli, Hanafiah
Jamil; 76 Damian Chin; 77 Edmund Au, Hilmi Abdul Rahman; 78 Anis Helmi; 79
Aidil Haris, Hazrq hamizan; 80 Bernard Chan, Teo Eu Gene, Mohamed Atiq,
Alex Tiong; 82 Arvin Chong; 83 Alfred Tan; 84 Ken Wong.
Championship Pool: Hilmi Abdul rahman (4); Aidil Harris (3); Edmund Au
(1); Bernard Chan (0).
Plate Pool: Anis Helmi (4); Haziq Hamizan (3); Damian Chin (1); Arvin
Chong (0).
(END)