Saturday, June 16, 2007

Azlan bent on KL Open

12/02/2003

AZLAN Iskandar is determined to bag his first Professional Squash
Association (PSA) title in the Kuala Lumpur Open which begins tomorrow at
the National Sports Council (NSC) courts in Jalan Duta.
The other national players in the main draw are Kenneth Low and junior
Timothy Arnold.
However, Azlan's path to the title is expected to be tough as standing
in his way is No 1 seed Tommy Berden of Holland.
Azlan, seeded second, faces a qualifier in the first round and should he
progress, as he is expected to, he comes up against fifth seed Gavin Jones
of Wales in the quarter-finals. But waiting for him in the semi-finals is
fourth seed Cameron White of Australia.
The national No 2, who won bronze at the Busan Asian Games last year,
said he has never played Jones before but believes the final result will
be in his favour.
"I might face a stiff challenge from Jones but I will go all out to
reach the final because I want to improve my world ranking," said Azlan.
Azlan is currently ranked 43rd in the world and if he reaches the final,
he will meet Berden, ranked World No 39.
Dutchman Berden won the KL Open in 2001 when he beat Malaysia's third
ranked player Low in the final.
The London-based Azlan is looking forward to winning his first PSA
tournament.
"I turned professional three years ago but have yet to win a PSA title.
I hope to start with the KL Open, which is a one-star tournament.
"I am seeded second behind Berden and looking at the draw, I have a good
chance of realising my dream," said Azlan.
The former Asian junior champion reached the semi-finals of the YTL Open
in 2000 and 2001 but, on both occasions, he lost to Low.
Azlan, who trains under coach Neil Harvey in London, is aiming to break
into the top 30 by the year's end.
"Last year I set out to break into the top 50 and achieved it, and this
year, with help from Neil, I am confident of reaching my target," said
Azlan.
Azlan was out of action for almost a month after he fell ill during the
December World Open in Antwrep, Belgium where he handed a walkover to his
opponentn in the first round.
He returned to training in January but lost in the first round of the
Coas International in Islamabad to Pakistan's Farruk Zaman.
(END)