Thursday, April 19, 2007

Lissek's new headache

10/07/2002

NATIONAL chief coach Paul Lissek returned home from gruelling Australian
and German Tours, where his boys played 19 matches in 26 days, and was not
least pleased with the withdrawals that have hit the national team in his
absence.
He also disclosed that he does not remember ever seeing a development
blueprint issued by the Malaysian Hockey Federation Technical and
Development Committee.
"No. I can't remember receiving a blueprint from the MHF Technical and
Development Committe.
"But I have formulated plans and submitted to the National Sports
Council," said Lissek after a training session at the National Hockey
Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
MHF Technical and Development Committee chairman Roy Rajasingam had
claimed after the council meeting on July 5 that his committee has been
unfairly criticised by the press because "We have been submitting
blueprints since the days of Terry Walsh, Volker Knapp and now Paul
Lissek."
Assistant national coach Stephen van Huizen also does not recall
receiving a blueprint or any development plans from the MHF.
But as far as Lissek is concerned, that is not his problem. His headache
is the string of early retirements that have hit the national side.
K. Logan Raj was conspiciously missing from training yesterday and when
asked: "He said that he wanted to concentrate on his studies. That I can
understand. What I don't understand is players telling me something, and
then doing someting else.
"Jiwa Mohan is a case to point because he told me that he can't train
fulltime for two years but will still continue attending training.
"I told him that he can come anytime and join training and keep fit in
case one of the trainees get injured before the Asian Games and we can use
him.
"He never showed up and I don't like players who do not tell me the
truth," said Lissek.
When asked if the players who quit will be welcomed back into the
national team in the near future, he said: "They can try their luck. If
they keep fit and are still good, we will consider them. If not, I am
grooming replacements right now.
"I will no longer hope for their return because I have some exciting
young players who are begging to see action at the international level,"
said Lissek.
Meanwhile, at the adjacent pitch, the women's national team was busy
working out for the Manchester Commonwealth Games.
Coach S. Siva has the unenviable task of pitching his young side against
Australia, Scotland and South Africa. But he is not willing to pack his
defence and narrow the margin of defeat.
"I dare say that the team has improved tremendously and I am not going
to defend in the first match against Scotland because during the World Cup
qualifiers in France, we only lost 4-2.
"I see hope in this team and I will let them play an attacking game
before I plan my next strategy," said Siva.
For the record, Malaysia were whipped 11-0 by Australia in the last
Commonwealth Games, and coach Siva has never seen the South Africans play.
Everything points towards a torrid time for the women at the Commonwealth
Games.
(END)