Monday, March 19, 2007

`Birthday boy' Rhodes gets the biggest cake

29/01/2001

"HELLO! I won mom! yes, I led from the start to finish for my first Iroman
title...what? Yes, It was a great birthday gift for me, mom."
The first thing that Kiwi, Bryan Rhodes, who turned 28 yesterday, did
after winning the Ironman Malaysia Triathlon in Langkawi was call his
mother back home in Wellington because nobody from his family came to
Malaysia to watch him run.
On the other end of the line, mom Wilma was choked with emotion and
could not stop crying for joy: "My mother is my "rock", my pillar of
strenght and I dedicate the race to her," said Bryan.
His joy is understandable because in his 13 years of taking part in the
triathlon, only the land of legendary Mahsuri was kind enough to let him
win eventhough world's best Lothar Leder was hot on his heels the entire
race.
How did he hear about the Langkwai Ironman?
"Well I was reading a magazine and the Ironman advertisement caught my
fancy because the race day coincided with my birthday, even then I had a
lucky feeling in me.
"I came to langkawi to preparre for the World Ironman championships in
Kona, Hawaii but when I heard that Leder had also registered for the
event, my heart sank a little. But today (yesterday) was my 28th birthday
and there was no way that I was going to let anyone else steal the cake
from me."
Rhodes was first out of the water in 48 minutes 45 seconds and from
there onwards he knew that he had it in him to win the race.
"The water was stifling hot and the only thing that kept me going was
that it was my birthday. The only doubt that I had about losing out to
Leder was during the cycling event around the 21km point when my wheel
became loose, I lost some time tightening the wheels but after that it was
smooth sailing for me.
"But the eight water/food points could do with a little bit of sprucing
up because they either did not undersand what we signalled for or the
volunteers there kept getting in my way when I went in for supplies."
"The water that they supplied was also too hot to drink and I almost
vomitted out after taking my first sip. Next year maybe they can improve
on the logistics."
(END)