Thursday, May 3, 2007

Perampalam takes the rap

16/09/2002

MALAYSIAN Hockey Federation (MHF) treasurer S. Perampalam (pic) yesterday
took responsibility for the mess MHF is in now which led to its president
Sultan Azlan Shah not seeking re-election in the Oct 26 Biennial General
Meeting (BGM) after being at the helm for 21 years.
And Perampalam is ready to quit, with a condition.
Perampalan said he is solely responsible and is sorry that the Sultan
will not be seeking re-election because of the turmoil he has created. But
he will still carry on if the States need him.
"I hold myself accountable for what is happening in the MHF today. I
failed to inform the Sultan on election day that Kelantan and Penang did
not pay their affiliation fees and allowed candidates from both the States
to vote in the 1999 elections," said Perampalam yesterday.
"I am sorry for what I have done and if the States feel they no longer
need me, they should not nominate me and allow someone else to contest for
treasurer's post."
Although Perampalan did not follow in the footsteps of his president by
sending in a no-contest letter to MHF, he has had the courage to do what
no other MHF office bearer has done - be accountable for his action.
Up till today, none of the vice-presidents Roy Rajasingham, Datuk Abdul
Jalil Abdul Majid, Lt Jen (R) Datuk Seri Abdul Manap Ibrahim, Bustari
Yusuf and Datuk Bashir Ahmad Majid or the deputy president Tan Sri P.
Alagendra has come out to clear the air about certain issues that have
been highlighted during the past six months or claim accountibility for
their actions.
Perampalam pleaded ignorance and not malice for his actions.
"As a treasurer, I failed to abide by the MHF Constitution which clearly
states that affiliates which do not pay their fees before March 31 every
year cannot vote. It was an oversight and also trust which has landed MHF
in trouble," said Perampalam.
Perampalam claims he asked Penang and Kelantan to settle their fees on
voting day in 1999 but they told him they did not bring their cheque
books. In good faith, he allowed them to vote trusting that they would
honour their obligations soon.
"But Kelantan and Terengganu, and all the other MHF affiliates, have
again failed to settle their dues before March 31," said a disappointed
Perampalam.
"I quit after the 1975 World Cup, then became the secretary for one term
and made my comeback years later. But now family pressure is mounting, and
I am thinking about calling it a day - provided I am no longer needed by
hockey," said Perampalan.
"I have been in and out of the MHF a couple of times and so it is
nothing new to me if I quit. I only serve the sport because I love doing
so but now that I am responsible for bringing MHF into disrepute, I am
willing to make way for new blood if the States feel they no longer need
me," said Perampalam.
Perampalan, who became the MHF treasurer 1965, has been in an out of the
Federation for a couple of times. In the 1972-1975 term, he was ousted by
Rahmat Pye but came back for the 1977-1981 season and then became the MHF
secretary for the 1986-1988 term while the treasurer then was S.
Jahendran.
For the 1988-1990 season, S. Satgunam won the secretary's post while T.
Paramalingam was the treasurer. Perampalam came back into the picture in
the 1990-1993 season and has held the treasurer's post since.
But he wants to clear the air as far as the accounts is concerned.
"I have done my job diligently and have submitted accounts during the
recent Council Meetings. But when I read in the newspapers that the Sports
Commissioner has not received my accounts, I went to check with them as I
had submitted my accounts to the Sports Commissioner's office on 31 March
2001.
"Right now, I can only submit my accounts to the Sports Commissioner's
office after the BGM."
Perampalan also said that the amount in dispute with the Merdeka Stadium
Board was not RM500,000 as reported but RM199,000.
"Actually we refused to pay the full amount because there was a dispute
regarding the A-Boards and the scoreboard at the National Hockey Stadium
in Bukit Jalil. Now, the problem has been settled as the Merdeka Stadium
Board has given us a good discount and the matter will not go to the
courts," said Perampalam.
(END)