Monday, January 7, 2013
SABAH withdrew from the MHC-Milo-NSC Junior Hockey League (JHL) just three days before the tournament starts, blaming it on their Education Department.
The JHL saw a record 28 teams registering, and Sabah’s no show has thrown the Division Two Group A tournament fixtures into turmoil.
They were supposed to start their JHL campaign against PHA-Anderson Juniors at the National hockey Stadium this Friday.
“We are unable to field a team as the Sabah Education Department has rejected our request to field school boys in the JHL,” said Sabah HA Secretary Aftar Singh.
“It is not easy for teams from East Malaysia to play in the JHL as there are also logistics issues, like arranging for the players to attend classes while away.
“We regret the decision to withdraw and understand that the MHC (Malaysian Hockey Confederation) can take action against us, but we ask for understanding as this is beyond our control.
“There are limited players in Sabah and try as we did, we just could not find replacements as we received the no tification from the Education Department today (yester day).”
Sabah became the Division Two champions in their maiden JHL appearance in 2010. Then, they were based in Pan damaran, Klang.
However, they did not field a side for the last two years. Division Two will now have nine teams in Group A and 10 teams in Group B.
There are eight teams in Division One.
DANGEROUS LEE, 20, Sarawak’s hope of becoming the first from his state to play with the senior hockey side, threw in the towel yesterday, citing fear of competing among his peers.
And his SMS to coach K. Dharmaraj sent the latter’s blood boiling, as the coach has great hopes on him to carry the Malaysian flag in the December Junior World Cup in New Delhi.
“I am totally peeved as well as feel being let down by Dangerous because he was among the front-runners in the training squad, to make the grade for the Junior World Cup.
“This is the third time he has thrown in the towel since he started studying in BJSS (Bukit Jalil Sports School). So enough is enough as I will not accommodate a player that does not have a heart,” said Project 2013 coach Dharmaraj.
Dangerous played in the Sultan of Johor Cup and then the Obaidullah Gold Cup in Bhopal at the end of last year, and that was when he chickened out after seeing how his skills are nothing compared to India club players.
“He was feeling down in Bhopal because he felt that the India players were simply too far ahead of him and he could not cope with their pace. He spoke to me about it then, but I did not think he would quit the World Cup training just because of that,” said Dharmaraj.
Dangerous SMS to the coach read: “Coach I will not be attending training tomorrow morning and I hope coach accepts my decision to pull out of the (World Cup) training squad.
“I feel that I can’t make progress anymore as I can’t compete with others. Sorry coach..tq.”
Dharmaraj blames Dangerous’ lame attitude to the soft upbringing he received after he joined BJSS in 2009.
“When I first saw him in action he had the fire in his eyes and wanted to become the first Sarawak player ever to play for the national seniors.
“However, he lost the edge and the fire was doused as BJSS only allowed him to play in the lower divisions of the Malaysia Hockey League.
“If they had released him to play for other teams in Division One back then, he would have become a hardened player now and not quit after getting a few knocks in Bhopal.
“The blame is in BJSS taking their so-called step-by-step approach which makes their players become soft and have a school mentality even after joining national juniors train ing.
“I hope the school changes their approach and does not make softies out of the Project 2017 players who are studying there right now,” said Dharmaraj.