Monday, June 18, 2018

MHC Competitions Committee yet to welcome new members

KUALA LUMPUR: After writing a 'Thank You' note to eight competitions committee members on Feb 26, manager Brian Fernandez has yet to send out a 'Welcome' notice to new members until Monday.
  The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) have been running their skeleton crew competitions committee since then, chaired by George Koshy and managed by Fernandez.
  As a re-cap, the competitions committee had “retired” eight of their members about four months ago after their term expired, and are still looking for new blood for another term.
  Manager Brian Fernandez had said back then, that he was instructed to write the “Thank You” emails to all their members by chairman Koshy.
  The previous members, who served for a year, said they only attended one meeting on June 10 last year.
  And now, the 'competitions committee' has recommended to do away with Division One in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) next season, leaving about 10 clubs in jeopardy.
  The plan is to host only the Premier Division, and this has not gone down well with many states who run clubs as well.
  A state secretary who declined to be named questioned the validity of the competitions committee's decision.
  "Have they recruited new members from states to fill up seats vacated by the eight members? If not, who decided to remove Division One from the MHL?," questioned the secretary.
  When contacted, Kooshy said: "After the new Competitions committee members are informed and they accept their appointment, I’m sure MHC will update the media.
  "Any changes (to the MHL format) will only be known after it (the matter) has been deliberated by the competitions committee at their next meeting," said the chairman.
  The competitions committee were tasked with revamping the sagging MHL and they decided to only host the Premier Division next year.
  Eight teams have registered for the Premier Division and they are  University Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), Terengganu Hockey Team (THT), Maybank, Tenaga Nasional, TNB Thunderbolts, Nur Insafi, Penang Hockey Club and UiTM.
  Last season, six teams competed in Premier Division while 13 teams in two groups in Division One.
  But the MHC are only interested in about 10-12 teams to play in the Premier.
   Among the Division One clubs which will be hit hard if MHC carry out their plan are Politeknik-KPT, PJCC Tigers, Pahang Juniors, Kedah HC, RMAF Rajawali, Selangor and Ipoh City Council -- to name a few.

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Sarjit: Re-think plan to scrap Division One

KUALA LUMPUR: Former national coach and Olympian Sarjit Singh feels the Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) should have a re-think about their plan to scrap Division One from next season's Malaysia Hockey League (MHL).
  MHC's competitions committee, chaired by George Koshy, were tasked with revamping the sagging MHL and they decided to only host the Premier Division next year.
  Eight teams have registered for the Premier Division and they are  University Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), Terengganu Hockey Team (THT), Maybank, Tenaga Nasional, TNB Thunderbolts, Nur Insafi, Penang Hockey Club and UiTM.
  "The plan to scrap Division one is not in tandem with development in mind, as it will deprive many players from having a platform to gain experience after they are no longer eligible for the JHL (Junior Hockey League).
  "MHC must ponder about their priorities. If they only want to see a small group of players competing in the MHL, then they can do away with the Division One.
  "But if they want to develop a larger pool of players, then Division One is a very important tournament," said the former national captain who played at the 1984 Los Angeles and 1992 Barcelona Olympics.
  In the MHL, Sarjit had played for Tenaga Nasional and Yayasan Negri Sembilan.
  Last season, six teams competed in Premier Division while 13 teams in two groups in Division One.
  But the MHC are only interested in about 10-12 teams to play in the Premier.
  "If this becomes a reality, those who don't make it for the Premier will only have an option to play in the state leagues as well as Razak Cup, and no other avenue to showcase their talent."
  Among the Division One clubs which will be hit hard if MHC carry out their plan are Politeknik-KPT, PJCC Tigers, Pahang Juniors, Kedah HC, RMAF Rajawali, Selangor and Ipoh City Council -- to name a few.

MHC plan to scrap Division One

KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) may organise only the Premier Division in next year’s Malaysia Hockey League (MHL).
The confederation plans to scrap the Division One competition, a move which will deprive up-and-coming players from at least 10 clubs an avenue to hone their skills.
MHC's competitions committee, tasked with reviving the MHL, came up with a plan to only have 10 to 12 teams in the Premier Division next season.
"Yes, our revamp will only see teams competing in the Premier Division, while there will not be a Division One next season," confirmed competitions committee manager Bryan Fernandez.
Last season, six teams played in the Premier Division while Division One attracted 13 teams.
Only eight teams sent in their entries for next year’s Premier Division.
They are University Kuala Lumpur (UniKL), Terengganu Hockey Team (THT), Maybank, Tenaga Nasional, TNB Thunderbolts, Nur Insafi, Penang Hockey Club and Universiti Teknologi Mara (UiTM).
Missing from the list were Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC), who won the Charity Shield and finished second in the league as well as the TNB Cup last season.
For the record, KLHC won the Premier Division six times and were crowned champions five times in the TNB Cup.
MHC are hoping that at least four more teams will play in the Premier Division next year.
Among the Division One clubs which will be hit hard if MHC carry out the culling are Politeknik-KPT, PJCC Tigers, Pahang Juniors, Kedah HC, RMAF Rajawali, Selangor and Ipoh City Council.
However, there is a glimmer of hope
"If clubs and states put up a strong case we might consider reinstating the Division One competition. We have plenty of time to think about it, as it will only be held next year," said MHC president Datuk Seri Subahan Kamal.

Thursday, June 14, 2018

Beat Pakistan or Balik Kampung awal...

KUALA LUMPUR: World No 12 Malaysia are drawn in Group D, literally group of DEATH, in the men's World Cup in Bhubaneswar, India, on Nov 28-Dec 16.
  World No 4 Netherlands, World No 5 Germany and Pakistan are our opponents, and if Malaysia fail to finish top-three in the group, its an early Balik Kampung on Dec 10, as there are no classification matches at 13th-16th.
  The fourth placed teams in the four-group format will pack and go home.
  Group A has Argentina, New Zealand, Spain, France; Group B: Australia, England, Ireland, China; and Group C: Belgium, India, Canada, South Africa.
   The top four teams qualify for the quarter-finals automatically, while the second and third placed teams play cross over matches to determine the other four teams.
  So, Malaysia must finish top three of there will not be any classification matches for them to improve on their world rankings, ahead for the World Series, which Malaysia hope to host and qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
  The early indications are that Malaysia need to beat Pakistan at all cost to stay alive.
  "Going by our world ranking, we knew roughly before the groupings were released that we will be placed in a tough group. But it's the World Cup, there are no easy teams and we have been preparing for any eventuality," said Malaysian coach Stephen van Huizen.
  Going by form, if Malaysia finish third in Group D, they will face either Belgium or India, who are expected to finish 1-2 in Group C.
  "We need to move up the world rankings to have a better chance of qualifying for the Olympics (if we do not win the Asian Games gold), and so, Pakistan or one of the other two teams must be beaten. No two ways about it," said van Huizen.
  This is only the second time 16 teams will play in the World Cup, the first was in 2002 Kuala Lumpur where Malaysia finished eighth.
  Van Huizen's men open accounts against Netherlands on Dec 1, Pakistan on Dec 5 and Germany on Dec 9 -- with plenty of rest time in between to recover.
  For the record, Malaysia rarely get a chance to play Germany and Netherlands, while Pakistan will be challenged in the Jakarta Asian Games.

Tuesday, June 12, 2018

MHC: It's not just a re-branding exercise

KUALA LUMPUR: A new development plan to replace 1Mas is expected to kick off in July, and its not just another re-branding programme said Malaysian Hockey Confederation (MHC) president Datuk Seri Subahan Kamal Tuesday.
  1Mas, incepted in 2010, suffered a natural death when the RM11 million alloted to it was all spent up early this year. Some claimed it was wisely spent, while others claim the money was not wisely utilised, as the programme overlapped many others.
  "The new development programme will start in July as we have found a sponsor to carry out activities. It will replace 1Mas, but it is not just another re-branding exercise, but to help develop the sport in a big way," said Subahan.
  MHC deputy president Datuk Dr S. Shamala was also present.
  Players from sports schools, project schools, Tenaga Nasional's Thunderbolts programme as well as Universiti Kuala Lumpur's (UniKL) hockey club, were also training in the 1Mas programme and it was a messy affair.
  However, at a meeting attended by state affiliates in Bukit Jalil yesterday, some of the problems faced by 1Mas were thrashed out and it was agreed that the main pitfalls will be avoided in the new plan.
  1Mas director Tai Beng Hai briefed state affiliates on the previous programme. And after much discussion, it was decided to forge ahead with fresh ideas.
   MHC Technical Director Terry Walsh said: "The problem here is everybody is claiming a hand in developing the said players and I believe they all had a hand somewhere along the way. But lets look at the bigger picture, in the end, the players will play for Malaysia and the benefit will be for everybody."