Thursday, May 3, 2007

Nining, Valerie and Nur turn in rocket-high scores

17/10/2002

MALAYSIA'S trio of Nining Harris, Valerie Tan and Nur Sayyeda returned
`astronomical' scores in the first round of the Espirito Santo Trophy at
the Saujana Golf and Country Club yesterday.
Nining shot a four-over 77, Valerie had an 84 and Nur Sayyeda blew her
game with an 87. Only the two best scores are taken into account which
means the trio are 29th out of 39 teams at the end of the first round.
The target set for the girls in the Espirito is to finish in the region
of 29.
Coach Jason Yong attributed the poor scores to "trying too hard to make
an impression."
"It was basically first-day jitters which saw Valerie play below her
best. She failed to perform because she placed too much pressure on
herself," said Yong.
Nining, after birdies on the second, sixth, 12th and 17th, double
bogeyed the fourth and had bogeys on the fifth, ninth, 10th, 14th, 16th
and 18th.
"The Bunga Raya Course greens were not too fast today (yesterday), but I
found the pin placements a bit way off and in my attempts to save par, I
faltered and had six bogies.
"I have played a 76 on the course before, but today (yesterday) I took
too many chances. I plan to play it safe tomorrow (today) and maybe return
a better score," said Nining.
Valerie failed to sink a single birdie and her nine bogies were on the
first, second, third, seventh, ninth, 10th, 11th, 14th and 16th. Her
double bogey was on the 15th.
"I am very disappointed with the score today (yesterday). I believe my
driver let me down. My putting and iron shots were okay, but the woods and
driver killed my game," said Valerie.
Nur Sayyeda had a nightmare round with triple bogeys on the eighth and
15th, double bogeys on the first, fifth and 16th and bogeys on the 11th,
13th and 17th.
(END)