Thursday, May 3, 2007

`Mischievous' Ho means business

18/09/2002

HO Ro Bin is a mischievous character, and he is popular among the athletes
at the National Sports Council (NSC) Asian Games Camp in Bukit Jalil
because of his laid-back attitude.
But when he enters the court, even for training, he is all-business.
"I like to crack jokes when I am among friends, but I am dead-serious
when I am training," said Ho yesterday.
With a string of achievements, the memorable ones being two gold at the
Kuala Lumpur Sea Games, Ho feels that if he is able to perform like he
does in training sessions, he will be able to upgrade the 1998 Bangkok
Asian Games bronze to either a silver or gold.
"My coach said that I have been performing well during trainings and my
first target is to defend the 1998 bronze and then go for either silver or
gold. In that order, the pressure will be less and I can enjoy myself
during the competition, which is vital for a good performance," said Ho.
His laid-back attitude has already reaped rewards. In April, he won the
nanquan gold at the Wushu Festival in Shanghai.
And at the Beijing Invitational Open last month, Ro Bin returned with a
full set of medals - gold in the Nan Dao, silver in Nan Gun and bronze in
nanquan.
But in the Asian Games, Ro Bin feels that athletes from China, Vietnam,
Hong Kong and Korea will be a threat to his quest for medals.
"When I competed in China, none of their Asian Games athletes were
around. We only had a training session with the Chinese and they were
marvellous.
"I may be more matured and experienced since I will be taking part in my
second Asian Games but it will be a big mistake if I enter the ring
feeling too confident.
"Although my strategy has improved, the rest of the exponents have also
been working on theirs."
Oh Poh Soon, the silver medallist in Bangkok `98, will again be looked
upon to have a good outing as wushu try to better their one silver and one
bronze showing in the last Games.
Team manager Yee Wan Pin said that if their training stint in China can
be taken into account, wushu will return with a surprise.
(END)