Saturday, June 16, 2007

Susan `back' to torment rivals

22/02/2003

WHAT do you call someone who broke her back 12 months ago, but is running
fit enough to take part in the grueling Langkawi Ironman marathon on
Sunday?
Meet the women's 2000 Langkawi Ironman champion Susan Peter who is among
the rare breed who believe in punishing her body for the sake of sport,
and doesn't let a broken back stand in the way.
The primary school teacher from Australia looks like any ordinary
scholar, but has an iron will and will stop at nothing after getting
hooked to the sport in 1998.
"I was cycling as usual in Adelaide when a car hit me from behind and I
broke my back. It took me 12 months to heal from the injury and in my
first race after recovering in August last year, I finished fourth in
Korea," said Susan.
Susan took a test-run of the course yesterday and was very happy with
what she saw.
"The course has been changed a little to make it tougher, but I liked
what I went through yesterday because it will not group the triathletes
together and there is a better chance to break away especially in the
cycle event.
"The weather has also been very cool and cloudy since I came to Langkawi
and that will help me very much. But since there are about six good women
triatletes this year, it will be touch and go," said Susan.
This year's women's race is also special because all three past
champions have entered for it.
Susan won in 2000 with a time of 9:55:17; in 2001 the champion was
Belinda Cheney of Australia who clocked 9:44:12. Last year, Danielle
Florens of Mauritius clocked a slow 10:29:36 for the title.
(END)