Saturday, June 16, 2007

Petsy still strong at 59

01/02/2003

PETSY Yap from Kuala Lumpur completed the Ironman Langkawi triathlon in 16
hours and 30 minutes last year. Barely crossing the line 31 minutes before
the doors closed on those vying for certificates.
Nothing to shout about, unless one takes into consideration that she was
58 years old and swam 3.8kms, cycled 180.2kms and ran 42.2kms for the
Ironman certificate.
Petsy is back for this year's race on Feb 23 and broke a record even
before breaking sweat as she, at 59, is the oldest woman triathlete to
register.
And the pint-size Petsy's only regret is that she might not be able to
better her time because a road accident three months ago robbed her of
valuable training time.
"I was cycling when a motorcyclist knocked into me. I had a deep cut on
my right knee and could not train for more than a month.
"I was very fortunate not to break any bones because at my age, it is
harder for bones to heal well," said said Petsy who is still single.
But even the road accident couldn't stop Petsy, who has been working at
the American Embassy as a secretary for the last three decades, from
competing in the gruelling event.
"The accident interrupted my training programme so I do not think I will
be able to clock a better time this year.
Petsy will not be challenging any of the woman participants, but racing
against the clock to finish under 17 hours to receive recognition as an
Ironman.
Petsy trains about two hours after work and on weekends spends more than
four hours.
"Among the three disciplines, I prefer running as you can train anywhere
but swimming is my weakest point especially in the open sea," said Petsy.
Meanwhile, defending man and woman champions Bryan Rhodes of New Zealand
and Danielle Florens of Mauritius, who completed the circuit in 8:10.35
and 10:29.36 last year, will be down to defend their titles.
Entries closed yesterday and the last to register were from the Armed
Forces.
Eighteen men from Squadron 21 Commando will be among the local
participants in the triathlon which has attracted a total of 368
triathletes.
(END)