Friday, July 26, 2013

Five stars for Malaysian LPGA

 Pic: Ai Miyazato
 
FIVE of the world’s top women golfers yesterday confirmed  their spots in the US$ 2 million Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia  which will tee-off on Oct 10-13 at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and  Country Club (KLGCC).
    Americans Stacy Lewis and Paula Creamer, Na Yeon Choi  from South Korea, Japan’s Ai Miyazato and Spaniard Beatriz  Recari ranked 2, 11, 4, 13, 18 respectively are the latest  draw-cards.
    They will join defending champion and current world No 1  Inbee Park of South Korea in the stellar line-up for the East  Course showdown.
      LPGA Player of the Year, Stacy Lewis said, “I had a good  start to the Tour in Asia this year and I’m looking forward to  getting back and competing for the Sime Darby LPGA.
   “It’s a great tournament played on one of the best courses  in Asia. It is always tough here, but I’ll approach it the way I  do all tournaments and will do my best to get my name on the  top of the leader board.”
    Na Yeon Choi, the 2011 champion, who came so close to  retaining her title in 2012, promises another stellar show.
      “The Sime Darby LPGA is certainly one of my favourite  tournaments of the year. Winning in 2011 and coming  runner up last year is a strong motivation for me to push even  harder in 2013.
   “ I know the course well and my strategy is always to put the  fairway first because if I hit the fairway well, then it presents  a lot of birdie opportunities. I always feel the pressure there,  but I try to thrive off it.”
    Another firm favourite with Malaysian fans is the ever- stylish Ai Miyazato.
   “The event has a reputation as one of the most intense  tournaments with an electrifying atmosphere. The course is  a great one to play with quite a lot of risk – reward  opportunities so I’m looking forward to getting back there to  play it,” said Ai.
    The 72-hole stroke play, no cut event is the first of four  consecutive tournaments in an Asian swing. The field will be  made up of 62 stars from the LPGA Tour and 10 sponsor  invites – including four players from the local and regional  qualifier events.