Tuesday, October 9, 2012

TNB Cup as good as KLHC's..


 THEY have played twice this season, and a total of 14 goals were scored, but expect the TNB Cup final at the national hockey stadium to be a one-sided affair today.
    Kuala Lumpur Hockey Club (KLHC) start as the overwhelming favourites to lift their fourth Overall title, as Tenaga Nasional will be playing without their goal-machine Faizal Saari.
   Faizal scored 21 goals for Tenaga this season, but pulled a hamstring in the second leg semi-finals against Sapura.
   “It would be a great loss, as of today (yesterday) the doctor’s orders are not to play him. And even is he is playable tomorrow (today) I have to think about his future as he is among the best strikers in the country and I would not want to gamble on his future,” said Tenaga coach Saiful Zaini.
   However, KLHC who have won a record seven consecutive League titles, are the least bothered by the ‘good news.
    “I have been coaching in the Malaysia Hockey League (MHL) for the past 13 years and I know what it means to lose a player to injury or card for crucial matches. However, KLHC are ready to go for our fourth title, even if Tenaga field Faizal. It does not make a difference to my plans,” said KLHC coach K. Dharmaraj.
   In the two-leg league, Tenaga won 4-3 but lost the return leg 3-4 to KLHC.
   “We know each other well, as not only have we played twice this season, but both sides have many national senior and junior players who have trained and played together before.
   “I can’t say it would be a high-scoring match like our previous encounters, but I’m sure the fans will not be disappointed with the standard of play,” said KLHC skipper Azlan Misron.
   In the President’s Cup final, Johor HA will square off against Armed Forces.
    “This is a new trophy and so, I hope my men engrave their name on it by beating Johor HA tomorrow (today). We have beaten them in the league (2-1) but I expect it to be a much more closer match in the final,” said Armed Forces team manager Major Fizal Mohamed.
    Saiful Azli, the Johor HA coach, had other plans: “We have a good combination between local players and Oman imports (six of them) and although we lost in the League to Forces, I believe the President’s Cup final will be much more different as my players are game to lift the title in their debut season,” said Azli.
     TODAY: TNB Cup Final: KLHC v Tenaga Nasional (National Stadium, Pitch II 8pm); Third-Fourth: Sapura v Maybank (National Stadium, Pitch I 6pm).
   President’s Cup Final: Johor HA v Armed Forces (National Stadium, Pitch II, 6pm); Third-Fourth: Thunderbolts v Bukit Jalil (National Stadium, Pitch I 4pm).