Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sarafina hits a happy 81

A GIGGLING 16-year-old Sarafina Vinota could not even remember her good and bad holes yesterday, but she was proud of her 10-over 81 first round score.
  The amateur, who finished second behind Aretha Pan in the Malaysian LPGA qualifier, was just happy to be among the best in the world.
  "Ahhh.. my good and bad holes, lets see...I really can't visualise now but I really enjoyed my game as the other two pros really kept encouraging me along the way," said Sarafina. 
 She played with I.K. Kim of South Korea who returned a one-under 70 and Mika Miyazato whose 66 was phenomenal.
  "Both my flight-mates were very understanding and it was simply great to watch their long play and how they saved par when in trouble.
  "I have played this course before and my lowest was a 73, but I could not save many holes today and hope to do much better after some rest," said the amateur.
  Her coach from the US, Shane Gillespie, caddied for her.
  The other Malaysian amateur, Aretha Pan was not too off her target as she returned a two-over 73.
  "Even though it rained overnight, the course played very well and I am happy with my score as I managed to save par on many holes. My best was the 13th where I two-putted for par, but blew it at the next hole with a double-bogey," said the best amateur in the country.
  The other Malaysian, Ainil Johani, also ended two-over 73.