Friday, October 12, 2012

Aretha Pan carries Malaysian flag..

AMATEUR Aretha Pan upstaged the Malaysian pros, with an identical two-over 73 for a 146 two-round total at the Sime Darby LPGA yesterday.
  The pint-sized golfer also had a 73 in the first round and is now tied 53rd, and did not look too happy with being the best Malaysian on the leaderboard.
  Professional Jean Chua is the second best Malaysian on joint-58th as she had a second round of two-over 73 for a 148 total.
  Ainil Johani is tied-66th, after she blew up with nine-over 80, for an 11-over 153 total.
  Sixteen-year-old, Sarafina Vinota is at the bottom of the pool after she had a disastrous 13-over 83 for a 165 two-day total.
  "I just kept hitting it into the rough, and that made a lot of bogies. Even though I am the best placed Malaysian, I don't feel happy at all with my game," said Aretha.
  However, it was different with a smiling Jean, who almost crashed the front nine but recovered the return and also her mood.
  "I started from the 10th, and there was a roll-in so I had to wait for more than 10 minutes for the referee, and that disrupted my focus for the next five holes.
  "I was so angry, and had to hurry my game as the others were pulling away, and that is why I hit a bogey on the 11th and a double bogey on the 12th.
  "But the back nine saved my day and I am like, so relieved now," said the ever smiling Jean.
  She placed the pressure on her commitment to Sime Darby and also the local fans.
   "Sime Darby were sponsoring me RM180,000 and then upped another RM120,000 for me to play golf, and I owe them so much. That keeps popping up in my mind and I think I have been trying too hard 'terlalu mencuba' and that is why I could not concentrate on my game.
  "I have a pyschologist, but then, it is not easy for me to blank out the supportive crowd, and also the fact that I am a Sime Darby ambassador.
  "Everything else, my shots, chips and putting is fine, only my mental state is still holding me back from doing well at home," said the US based player who is competing in her third Sime Darby LPGA.