Sunday, October 14, 2012

Aretha the best Malaysian

AMATEUR Aretha Pan finished as the best Malaysian, when she returned a four-over 75 for a four-day total of 12-over 296 at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club yesterday.
  The total saw her end tied 61, much better than the two Malaysian professionals Ainil Johani and Jean Chua.
  Ainil ended joint-64th on a total of 17-over 301. Her final round score was three-over 74 and she took home $4,773.
  US-based pro Jean Chua was alone at 66th after a five-over 76 which brought her total to 19-over 303. She earned $4,625.
  At the bottom of the Sime Darby LPGA pool was amateur Sarafina Vinota who had another disastrous round of 13-over 84, for a whopping total of 46-over 330.
   "My score does not reflect my actual game, as I was playing pretty good but was bogged down by some bad holes in every round. My aim was to finish as the best amateur and also the best Malaysian here, and I achieved one and so its not too bad an outing," said Aretha who completed her third Sime Darby tournament yesterday.
  Next for Aretha is the Enjoy Jakarta Open next weekend: "Its another opportunity for me to learn and enjoy my golf with the best women players in the world."
   As for Jean, also in her third straight tournament at the KLGCC, she wants to earn her card next year, and not rely on sponsors exemption.
  "Its good to play under the sponsors exemption for the last three years, but my plan for next year is to go to Q-school and make the grade on my own instead of getting a free ride.
  "That way, I will not be under so much of pressure and might just be among the top and not struggle at the bottom," said Jean.
  Ainil and Jean would also head for the Jakarta Open next weekend.