Sunday, October 16, 2011

Cool Korean Choi


SOUTH KOREAN Choi Na Yeon pocketed a cool US$285,000 when she lifted the Sime Darby LPGA Malaysia crown on a 15-under 269 at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club yesterday.
She returned a 68 in the final round, which saw five birdies on the sixth, eighth, 12th, 15th and 17th and a double bogey on the second.
In second place and US$176,791 richer was world No 1 Yani Tseng of Taiwan who ended 14-under 270, while Spaniard Azahara Munoz was third on a 12-under 272 total.
Choi, ranked No 4, had a nervous end-game, but kept her composure and temperament to avoid a play-off.
“I wasn’t nervous when I started but by the 15th, I was getting nervous when I heard Yani got two birdies (15th and 16th),
“The final four holes were quite rattling for me, but I still got the desired result and so it feels amazing holding the trophy,” said Choi.
The fact that she kept watching the leaderboard, and seeing Yani moving up steadily made her edgy.
“I keep watching the leaderboard today, and she’s (Yani) such an intimidating player, especially this year. I think she made me, like more nervous. But it’s a great experience really. I’m very happy what I got this week, and then next week I’m going to Taiwan, so hope to bring this momentum there too.”
She also attributed her composure to the tips given by her caddy Paul Fusco, who has been with her for more than two years.
“He has been my caddy for lmost 2 1/2 years. And I won my fifth title with him today (yesterday). I think we make good partners as he keeps encouraging me every time. When my caddie gave me number I just trust that number and hit the shot.
“The main thing is that I never gave up until the last hole. I feel I’m very proud of myself like how I control my emotions. I think that I had a great experience from this week, you know, and nobody can buy this experience.
As for Yani who started four shots adrift of the leader Choi yesterday but closed in steadily: “I played a great final round as I hit a lot of great shots. On the second hole, I hit into the water but I hit it so good . I don’t know. I know I’m going to be close but I didn’t know that close. So Na Yeon played great and she made a couple of birdies on the back nine. You know, it’s fun and I enjoy it, and I finished second this week, that means I still have space to improve next week (at home in Taiwan).
Choi and Yani traded places from last week, where Yani broke par and left the second spot to the Korean.
“Yeah, after that we still good friends and we were looking forward for another week to compete with like this week. We just switched places, last week I won and this week I’m second. So it was fun, fun to have a player like this that you can always compete with and be good friends with, too.”