Thursday, February 17, 2011

Former caddy Sasar leads with 72

FORMER caddy A. Sasar's even-par 72 was good enough to hand him the lead in the two-day Maybank Malaysian Open National Qualifiers at the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club (KLGCC) yesterday.
The 38-year-old leads 54 other local professionals after carding five birdies and five bogeys.
The Qualifiers offer five tickets to the Maybank Malaysian Open on April 14-17 at the at KLGCC.
Trailing Sasar by one stroke is Nazri Zain with one-over-par 73.
Sasar missed last year's Open boat by two strokes, and aims to keep his round low today.
"I starte off as a caddy in Kedah and the last amateur title I won was in 1995. I am lucky that my club (Kelab Golf Negara Subang) is backing me to try and qualify for the Open again," said Sasar.
Kemarol Baharin and Nicholas Pua share third place with two-over 74. Maybank Malaysian Open 2009 National Qualifier champion R. Nachimuthu, Shawn Liew Hoa Yan and Rashid Ismail are tied for fifth with a total of three-over-par 75.
“The course is long and the greens are fast so that makes it a bit challenging to score. However I did display the best putting skills and short game plus chipping today (yesterday) and I am pretty pleased with that,” said Sasar.
And his target in the final round is: "To keep it bogey free, as I would have almost cemented a spot if I had not had five today (yesterday)."
Teen golfer Anis Helmi started with hope to repeat last year’s result where he topped the National Qualifiers, but unfortunately he ended tied 11th spot with three other players after he carded a five-over 77.
Tied alongside Anis is Akmal Tarmizee, another player who claimed his ticket to the Maybank Malaysian Open last year through the National Qualifiers.