Sunday, November 28, 2010

Van Huizen: I love journalists

Malaysia goalkeeper S. Kumar blows out the candles on his birthday cake upon his arrival with the Malaysian hockey team at KLIA on Friday. — Picture by Osman Adnan

NATIONAL hockey coach Stephen van Huizen (with garland) has denied he was rude to a Malaysian journalist following the 2-0 defeat to Pakistan in the Asian Games final on Thursday.
Stephen said he had responded to a question before the press conference started and was told by a media officer to wait for Pakistan.
“I was asked as to what the team’s next target was to which I replied the Olympic Qualifier,” said Stephen yesterday.
The next question posed was when would the Qualifier be held to which Stephen said he replied ‘You should know’ before the media officer told him to not proceed.
“I honestly didn’t know the date of the Qualifier nor the venue. I was not being rude.
“I have always worked closely with journalists and have always taken the time to answer their questions, even when I have been criticised.
“That was the case in the Commonwealth Games but I still worked with the media. I did say that I hoped that the silver in Guangzhou would appease the press after the team did badly in the Commonwealth Games and I meant it sincerely.
“We have a major task ahead of us as qualifying for the London Olympics is going to be a tough task but I look forward to working closely with journalists.”