Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chua keen to make a comeback

CHUA Boon Huat is keen to make a comeback to the national hockey team.
Boon Huat, who was dropped from last year’s World Cup qualifier in New Zealand after 11 years of service, feels he can contribute to the national team in gaining international success.
“It is always an honour to play for the national side and I will definitely comeback if selected,” said Boon Huat, who has earned 306 caps since making his international debut in 1998, in Kuala Lumpur yesterday.
“Hockey is still very much in my blood. I have a few more good years in my game.
“I was dropped from the World Cup qualifier as coach (Tai Beng Hai) felt I could not adapt to his system of play. However, I want to work my way back into the national team.
Boon Huat’s experience will definitely be an added ad vantage to the national team, who are gearing up for the Commonwealth and Asian Games.
On Stephen van Huizen return as one of the national coaches, Boon Huat said his experience will be vital to the team ahead of important assignments.
“I played under him years ago and he is a good coach. It will be nice to work with him again if I am given a chance,” said the Malacca-born forward.
The 30-year-old recommended that local players should venture into top European leagues.
“A player gets to learn new things. I am talking through experience as I played for several foreign clubs before,” added Boon Huat, who had stints with four foreign clubs previously.