Friday, February 13, 2009

Danny & Airil keep flag flying


Kuala Lumpur, February 12: Malaysia's Danny Chia (pic) and compatriot Airil Rizman kept the local cheers alive in the opening round at the Maybank Malaysian Open on Thursday.
Chia, who is a former winner on the Asian Tour, posted seven birdies against a lone bogey for a six-under-par 66 to lie in a tie for fifth place and was a stroke ahead of compatriot Airil who carded a 67 at the Saujana Golf and Country Club.
Chia, 36, ended the round four strokes behind Korean young gun Noh Seung-yul who fired a blistering 62 for the opening round lead in the Asian Tour and European Tour sanctioned event. Alexander Noren of Sweden was in second place after a 63 while China's Liang Wen-chong was among those in a tie for third place after a 65.
With a new driver in the bag, Chia, who was one under after nine holes, enjoyed a blistering run on the back nine by nailing five birdies.
"I putted well and I was lucky in a few holes. I missed a putt on the fifth hole which cost me a bogey but everything turned around from there and I was putting well again," said the Kuala Lumpur-based golfer, who will be adopting a mixed approach in the second round.
"I can take advantage of the par fives. But for holes like number seven, I can use a driver but the fairway is very narrow. If my ball is not in a good position off the tee, I will be cautious and will choose to lay it up and not go for the green.
"I would like to be aggressive all the time but when it comes to this golf course, I will have to tell myself to be a bit more conservative at some holes," he added.
Airil, who won the 2007 Pakistan Open on the Asian Tour, is relishing his outing at the Maybank Malaysian Open after posting a solid 67 in the US$2.2 million tournament.
"I'm very pleased. I made a lot of putts today which was the difference. I saved a lot of shots too. But my putting has been the key.
"Everything was perfect today. Good weather and the rough is not too long," said Airil.
The other Malaysian golfers in action today include Shaaban Hussin who carded a 71 in joint 41st place, Lim Eng Seng (69th) who was even par for the day and amateur Fung Nicholas who shot a 73 in tied 87th spot.
Ben Leong, who won the Worldwide Selangor Masters last year, was in the mix in 102nd position after a 74 alongside amateur Akhmal Tarmizee while Asian Tour's Iain Steel recorded a 76 to lie in 129th place.