Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sarjit Defends His Boys

Malaysian skipper Azlan Misron (yellow) attacking the India goalmouth during the Azlan Shah Cup in May in Ipoh. India won 2-1.

NATIONAL hockey coach Sarjit Singh believes his players are innocent, and not involved in any match-fixing or bribery scandals as alleged by some quarters.
That is why Sarjit has also lodged a police report on Tuesday, after the Malaysian Hockey Federation (MHF) lodged theirs.
Allegations of match-fixing, bribery, betting in the English Premier League and money-lending activities have been thrown at his players via anonymous e-mails, and then picked up by a local English daily, prompting MHF and Sarjit Singh to lodge police reports.
"First of all, I believe in my players and I’m confident that they are not involved in illegal activities. That is why I have lodged a police report (on Tuesday) against the news paper, the reporter, and also for the police to find out who sent the damaging e-mails," said Sarjit yesterday.
And until yesterday, the police have yet to call Sarjit or any of his players to investigate the matter.
"I and my players are open to investigation, and we will co-operate with the police when they need our help. There is nothing to hide, and nothing to fear.
"My only concern is to clear MHF’s and my players’ name, and bring to book those who have thrown these wild allegations to tarnish the good name of the sport," said Sarjit.
It is believed that police have started their investigations, as match-fixing and bribery are criminal offences.
"Three-quarter of this team has been training with me since before the (2004 Rotterdam) Junior World Cup, which means they practically grew from boys to men under me.
"I know all of them like the back of my hand, and that is why it saddens me when some quarters have thrown bad light on them.
"They (Players) are family, and are equally disturbed with the allegations, and eagerly await for the police investigation to reveal names of those who are out to tarnish their reputation," said Sarjit.