Thursday, April 19, 2007

Noordin: I don't want the post

05/07/2002

KUALA LUMPUR Hockey Association (KLHA) president Tan Sri Noordin Hassan
has, for the second time, quashed any attempts to nominate him as the next
deputy president of the Malaysian Hockey Federation (MHF).
MHF will be holding their council meeting in Kuala Lumpur today, and it
will eventually lead to the long overdue MHF elections, but Noordin is not
looking for a post in the parent body.
"People can nominate me, but I will not give my consent because I feel
that at 63, I am too old to be burdened with such a heavy responsibility,"
said Noordin in response to Penang Hockey Association's plans to nominate
him for the post of deputy president.
However, Noordin will not wash his hands of MHF.
"I am ever willing to help them when they have special projects like I
did during the Commonwealth Games and the World Cup. But I have been
enjoying my free time too much to be bogged down by taking a post in the
parent body.
"In KLHA itself, I have made it known that if there is a willing
replacement, I will make way. But my committee does not want to let me go,
so I carry on with the job until a replacement comes by," said Noordin in
his usual frank style.
Many state affiliates have come forward to say their piece on the MHF,
and to an extent, TimeSport was accused as "having savagely butchered MHF"
and today, those who have grouses will get to say their piece in the
council meeting.
MHF have been accused of neglecting the states to the extent that some
of them have run out of ideas and ambition to keep the sport going at the
grassroots. Today is when they should raise their grouses.
MHF have been accused of being biased when selecting officials for
tournaments and overseas assignments.
MHF vice presidents have been accused of not doing enough, not even
holding meetings in sub-committees which they chair to the extent that the
Schools and Technical and Development Committee is now defunct.
MHF Umpires Board have come under heavy fire for showing favouritism and
not promoting or lending any support to their member umpires. Blow the
whistle on the MHFUB today.
MHF have been accused of doing nothing to stop early retirement of young
players after millions of ringgit is spent in training and sending them
for overseas tournaments. Come out with a suggestion to counter that
today.
MHF have promised drastic changes which involve the stepping down of
president Sultan Azlan Shah and his deputy Tan Sri P. Alagendra from their
posts after the MHF house has been put in order. Make that pledge and
minute it for good measure.
MHF have pledged to ask their key officials (the vice-presidents, and
chairmen of sub-committees who have been inactive) not to seek re-
election. Minute that in the meeting too.
The council members have the power to change the course of hockey in
Malaysia, if they choose to speak out for the good of the sport today.
If not, hold your peace forever.
(END)