Friday, March 30, 2007

What, World Cup in 50 days?

05/01/2002

THE 2002 Kuala Lumpur World Cup is just around the corner, but for hockey
fans who were approached by Timesport yesterday, the event might as well
be held on planet Pluto and in the year 2020.
With 50 days left, some of the fans Timesport approached were shocked
when told that tickets for hockey's most prestigious event went on sale
more than a month ago.
Jagjit Singh, 54, a businessman from Penang who was down in Kuala Lumpur
for a meeting, was shocked when approached.
"Fifty days more to the World Cup you said? Well I have yet to come
accross any advertisements, posters or banners to tell me where I am
supposed to get the tickets from. Promotions are non-existent in Penang.
"I don't even feel the atmosphere that is supposed to be associated with
such a big event. During the 1975 World Cup in Kuala Lumpur, I remember
that three months from the World Cup the entire country almost came to a
standstill because everybody was talking about it and anxious for ther big
day to arrive.
"I travelled with a group of friends from Penang to Kuala Lumpur and we
had a great time watching Malaysia play in the semifinals and then India
beating Pakistan in the final," said Jagjit.
Angela Wong, 28, from Sarawak and down in Kuala Lumpur for work, did not
even know that the World Cup was going to be held in Kuala Lumpur.
"I never knew that the hockey World Cup was going to be held in
Bukit Jalil. Although I am not a hockey fan, I would still like to go and
watch a few matches because it is the World Cup.
"Now that I know, I will tell all my friends so that we can go in a
group and cheer the Malaysian side. Anyway, where can we book the tickets
from? And when it it starting?," asked Angela.
Ng Wai Jin, 25 and Kok Wai Wah, 24, had more questions to ask about the
World Cup.
"We watched hockey during the 1998 Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games and
it was such an interesting semifinal where Malaysia beat India. But we are
still in the dark about the World Cup. Do you have the contact number of
the company selling the tickets?
"Anyway, we have yet to come across any advertisements in television,
radio or print media indicating that such a big event is going to take
place in Malaysia," said Ng and Kok.
R. Sathiya, 25, who just found out yesterday that the World Cup was on
Feb 24 to March 9 said: "How come the organisers are not selling tickets
at shopping complexes? That way, I am sure even those who are not really
interested in hockey will also buy tickets for a few matches because they
want to feel the atmosphere of a World Cup."
Alice Voon, 33, Albert Wong, 24, Catherine James, 25, M. Marren and his
Japanese wife Koyogo Marren and businesswoman Raja Endah, 47, were also
preplexed on why the organisers are still holding back on the promotions.
Raja Endah summarised their feeling when she said: "I hope the
promotions for the World Cup will begin soon because I know that none of
my friends are aware that such a big event is going to be held in Kuala
Lumpur.
"I am sure that when they come to know about it, they will not mind
going to the stadium and watch selected matches, if not for the action,
just to feel what it is like to be in a stadium during the World Cup. We
did that during the Kuala Lumpur Commonwealth Games eventhough some of
them never followed any sport.
"The World Cup is coming back to Malaysia after 27 years, who knows if
it is ever going to be staged on Malaysian soil again. So I will
definitely not miss the chance, now that I know about it," said Raja
Endah.
jugjet@nstp.com.my
(END)