Sunday, March 4, 2007

Rule out the newcomers, says former champ Westwood

04/02/1999

LEE Westwood who has been playing in Malaysia for the past five years has
predicted that most of the Europeans who are first timers in Malaysia will
be dropping like flies at the Benson & Hedges Open which tees off at the
Saujana Golf and Country Club today.
"Anybody (from Europe) who has not had experience of the Malaysian
climate and the course conditions will be struggling because the humidity
is very severe while the course is very hilly," said Westwood.
"There are ways of getting around and coping with it but concentration
can wander at the best of times when it is hot. And when you get flustered
and hit some really bad shots you will get angry and lose out."
Westwood is not really concerned with what others think. It is how he
plays that matters most. The 1997 champion and last year's runner-up said
he will only do battle with the course.
"I don't bother with all the expectations on me. I don't listen to
people. I have my own goals and expectations and if I reach them I will be
happy."
His current goal is to improve his world rankings from the present No 6
which he occupies.
"That's my goal for the year - to reach No 1 If I can put together a
good run of results, especially up to the Masters, and including the
Masters, it will be a home run for me."
Westwood has never played well in the beginning of the season but in
mid-season, he is usually at his peak.
"I think confidence was the difference between winning seven times in
1998 and not doing that in 1997. The practice rounds that I have played so
far this week has been encouraging and seem to have picked off where I
left last year," said Westwood who will be making his maiden appearance
this season at the Malaysian Open.
Westwood, who was down with food poisoning when he first played in Asia,
has come a long way since and said the obvious way to play in this
temperature is to stay calm and not let the humidity get the better.
(END)