Friday, March 2, 2007

Queen E's aide impressed with facilities

14/05/1998

SHE came on a mission to map out Queen Elizabeth's programme for the
Commonwealth Games and went home impressed.
"I must say that I am impressed with the facilities and everything
points to a great Games. Although I cannot compare Kuala Lumpur with the
other host cities because this is my first Games visit, I am impressed
with what I saw," said Mary Francis, the assistant private secretary to
the Queen.
"Today (yesterday) was just a brief visit (to the Bukit Jalil Sports
Complex) to have a first-hand look at the venues which the Queen will be
visiting during the Games. I'll return at the end of June to finalise the
details and the venues to be visited by the Queen."
The Queen will officiate at the closing ceremony of the KL Games and
will remain for another two days to visit Kuala Lumpur and other parts of
Malaysia.
The British entourage included Geoffrey Crawford, Press secretary to the
Queen, and British High Commission second secretary Robin Ord-Smith.
On Britain's preparations for the Games, she said: "All the athletes are
undergoing serious training right now.
"The sport-loving public are making final preparations to visit Malaysia
during the Games and I believe when they come here, they will be equally
impressed."
(END)