Thursday, March 29, 2007

It's a miracle!

06/12/2001

MIRNAWAN Nawawi, diagnosed with a first degree muscle tear on the right
calf a week ago, looks good to make the Champions Challenge which begins
on Friday.
A week ago, National Sports Institute (NSI) director Dr Ramlan Aziz said
the injury will need at least three weeks to heal but yesterday, after
conducting more tests on The Boss, he said it looks better and he was
surprised with the progress made in such a short period.
"I conducted some tests on Mirnawan on Tuesday and he responded well.
Tomorrow (today), I will conduct more tests on him and submit my findings
to the Malaysian Hockey Federation Selection Committee or further action,"
said Ramlan.
The Champions Chellenge managers meeting is today and it is the last
chance to eiher field or drop a player.
And Mirnawan does not mind taking the risk, if Ramlan certifies him fit
today.
"I badly need to play in the Champions Challenge because I want to
assess my performance after the Azlan Shah Cup in August. I have not
played any competitie hockey in three months and if I miss the Challenge,
it will not be good for my preparations toward the World Cup," said
Mirnawan.
The World Cup is on Feb 24 to March 9 and when asked if he was willing
to take the risk of aggravating the muscle tear and not being able to play
in the World Cup: "I am willing to take the risk. If Dr ramlan finds me
fit to play in the Challenge, I will not have any regrets if anything
happens during the tournament," said Mirnawan.
Mirnawan said there were no pains on his left calf during the tests
conducted at the NSI and if he feels any pain today, he will be the first
to let Ramlan know.
"I will not conceal the injury just to get back into the team. I will be
very honest tomorrow (today) and if even there is a slight pain, I will
let him know," said Mirnawan.
Chief coach Paul Lissek was very frank about his assessment on Mirnawan.
"If the Dr (Ramlan) certifies Mirnawan fit to play, I will field him
because he needs to play competitive hockey before the World Cup and if he
misses this opportunity, it will not be good for the team," said Lissek at
the MHF buka puasa with the players at a leading hotel in Kuala Lumpur
yesterday.
Team manager Datuk R. Yogeswaran said the decision to field Mirnawan or
not will be decided at the managers meeting today.
"Ater we receive Ramlan's report, the MHF Selection Committee will
deliberate on the matter and whatever decision that we take tomorrow
(today) we will have to live by it, weather good or bad," said Yogeswaran.
Malaysia played three friendly matches this week, two against Argentina
and one against South Africa, without Mirnawan and the team did reasonably
well.
"Yes, the boys did show some promise in the friendlies although we did
not have our most prolific player Mirnawan. So if Ramlan finds him not fit
to play in the Challenge, I still have a back-up plan," said Lissek.
With or without Mirnawan, Malaysia are going to face a tough time making
a name in the Challenge.
But if one still believes in miracles, like the speedy recovery of The
Boss from a first degree muscle tear, then one cannot shut the door on
this team, yet.
jugjet@nstp.com.my
(END)