Thursday, January 25, 2007

Hafiz, up and running now

22/06/1997

HAFIZ Hussin from Petaling Jaya Municipal Council (PJMC) has scored 15
goals in the MHF-Milo-NSC Junior Hockey League but on Friday, he was
unable to stop Old La Sallians of Klang (Olak) from winning by a
comfortable 3-0 margin.
No, he has not lost his touch. He injured his leg in the earlier matches
and as a result, was seen limping against Olak.
"I felt very bad not being able to help my teammates in the first leg of
the semifinals, I will try my best to score in the second leg today," said
Hafiz.
The 19-year-old League topscorer, who has been given a clean bill of
health for the return leg, played with the PJMC senior side for three
years before joining the juniors and attributes his abilities to
experience.
"Playing with the seniors was a valuable experience, they play a fast
game and we have learnt that there is no place for individualism," said
Hafiz.
"Team spirit is what wins matches."
And Hafiz has been a team player in the League, running up and down with
the ball, he thinks nothing of making a pass in the semicircle if he sees
his teammates unmarked.
"I scored nine field goals because there is a good understanding between
the PJMC forwards, if they didn't make the openings I could not have
scored so many."
The left inside played for Sri Serdang Secondary and has helped his
school win the Inter-Schools and Inter-District titles.
"Playing at school level was fun, now it is serious business. I hope I
am able to help my employers make the final. It is going to be an uphill
battle but we have not thrown in the towel yet. We need to score early if
we want to see action in the final."
Hockey is not his only love, Hafiz is an all-rounder. He plays soccer,
sepaktakraw and is an active athlete: "But my aim is to play hockey at the
national level."
With the League topscorer award as good as his, as his nearest
challenger is on nine goals, his aim does not seem to be that far off.
(END)